Sunday 11 September 2011

September 11, 2011

I haven't written anything in awhile. I suppose I've just been caught up with the busy-ness of life, summer, work and whatnot. I feel bad, this was my...way to sort out what my brain has been trying to process in terms of writing that award winning novel I've been wanting to write. Maybe I've just been lacking inspiration. Who knows.

Sometimes I wonder why my imagination won't work as well as some authors who have dozens of popular novels out. Sometimes I'm too critical, and I quit something before I get too far into it. I've been told probably by more then one person, never to quit something, or at least never to throw it out. Who knows if it might be something that you will be able to use later on. I take zumba classes on Tuesdays, and one Tuesday after drinking a particularly large amount of water, I could feel it swishing around in my belly. I was in a fantastic silly mood, so when I got home, I posted a facebook status update that went like this: "note to self: drink water at zumba, but never drink too much! It wooshes around in my belly like the ocean is making waves! I wonder if there is a little man surfing in there...hahaha!!" ..to which a friend responded asking where I come up with those things. I have no clue. Sometimes when I'm feeling silly I think of the dumbest little phrases or sayings. But when it comes time to sit down and write something, I come up blank.

I bought this notebook that looks like it could be a hardback novel or something. I started writing in it, but not writing my novel just yet, I have been doing research. Research on the structure of what a story should be, research on what kinds of characters are in stories. I'm hoping this will help me when I finally do start writing, or at least it'll help get the ball rolling.

Today it has been exactly 10 years since the tragedy of 9/11. Ten years ago when that happened, I was in college in Welland, Ontario studying journalism. I was hoping then that I could get a job writing for a magazine, not a newspaper. The course was nothing like I'd hoped it would be, and I flunked out. But, ten years ago when that happened, I was up early in the morning, trying to finish off a paper before I left for class. Slacking off, of course. I was also talking to a friend from another country on msn, and they had told me they were sorry for what happened to my country. Now I'm a Canadian, so I was confused. I turned on the TV behind me, and I saw the 2nd plane crashing into the twin towers, and my heart just sunk to my feet. When I went to class, there was definitely an ominous vibe among everyone around me. Today, I remember that day, and the many lives that were lost as a result of that horrific day. I remember all the police, fire, EMT's and anyone who helped to try and save the people trapped within the rubble. I remember the ones who were lucky enough to make it out alive. That was a sad day indeed, but today I am thankful for my freedom, as well as for the freedom of those around me. I am proud to be a Canadian today (and every day for that matter), and praying that all of those effected by the events of 9/11 can continue to rebuild and continue on with their lives.

Onto more research and inspiration...

No comments:

Post a Comment